Yep, he’s still at it. And the prospect of retiring for good might just need to wait a bit longer.
After only two months separating his bout with Jessie Vargas in November of last year, Filipino fighting pride and prized senator Manny Pacquiao will once again set foot inside the ring as a deal with up and coming Aussie boxer Jeff Horn has been struck for a showdown in April.
Top Rank’s Bob Arum and Horn’s promoter Dean Lonergan on Wednesday, inked the agreement to formalize the April 22 bout- the first in a series of overseas fights for Pacman.
The venue for the fight is still unsure which could be held either in Australia or in the United Arab Emirates as disclosed in the two camp’s meeting in Las Vegas, but Arum says one thing’s for sure: the eight-division champ will defend his belt in three months time.
“Once we have a location then I’ll fly over to the Philippines to meet with Manny and finalize everything on our side,” Arum said. “But he is going to fight Jeff Horn.”
This will be Pacquiao’s first title defense of the World Boxing Organization (WBO) welterweight belt which he gained after a methodical unanimous decision win over Vargas last November 5.
He might be relatively unknown outside of Australia, but the 28-year-old Horn is undefeated in 17 professional fights after representing his country in the 2012 London Olympics.
In what has been labeled as one of the biggest fights in Australian boxing history, expect a thrilling match between a young boxing prospect raring to prove his mettle, and an evergreen future Hall of Famer come late April.
Blog entry #13 for 2017 Subject: Pacman to face Horn in April
Time Stamp: 1/11/2017 6:35 PM